5 ways for Women Leaders to deal with Workplace Bullying and Harassment
Research shows that workplace bullying and harassment costs the Australian economy between $6 billion and $36 billion every year. On average, each claim costs employers between $17,000 to $24,000, depending on the case.
But it’s not only about the money.
The impact of workplace bullying and harassment on other people can be devastating. When fear and uncertainty become the norm, morale plummets and productivity becomes history.
As a female in a leadership role, it is critical that as soon as you get a ‘whiff’ of any behavior that resembles workplace bullying or harassment, you jump onto it. Far too often leaders leave the problem alone, hoping that the issue will resolve itself in time. It never does.
5 ways for Women Leaders to deal with Workplace Bullying and Harassment:
So, if you are at the top of an Organisation or running a team, follow these 5 clear-cut strategies to deal with workplace bullying and harassment.
- Be Aware – look for warning signs such as high absenteeism, complaints and develop processes to allow your staff to report incidences without fear of pay-back
- Train – Your people about the nature of workplace bullying and harassment, educate them and create a policy around it
- Culture in your Organisation – Create and implement a NO Bullying policy and use this topic as an agenda item at each team meeting. Make sure your senior leaders role model this
- Respond – To complaints quickly, deal with bullies, monitor behaviour and communicate the results to staff efficiently
- Investigate – all complaints, gather all the facts, speak to witnesses, promise confidentiality and deal with the situation promptly.
Workplace bullying and harassment affects your people, your productivity, your profits. It also impacts on lives and people so do something about it today.
Source: Duty of Care Pty Ltd (Adapted)
Caryn Walsh is at the helm of Pure Magic International Business Solutions. They develop leaders, people and teams in Organisations in Australia and internationally. Pure Magic trains and coaches leaders and builds teams to become highly performing. They run leadership programs, workshops and leadership Retreats and offer a range of leadership training and team building training programs and conference speaking.